(Click on any of the below thumbnails to view a slideshow of larger images)
The Yarmouth County Museum houses many musical treasures from an era that seems wistfully carefree and nostalgic. Most of the instruments that you see below can be found in the Music Room. These instruments were used at all sorts of occasions by all sorts of people, and every one has a story to tell. Staff can play some of the instruments for visitors upon request.
Chute, Hall & Co. Parlour Organ
Chute, Hall & Company manufactured a variety of organs in Yarmouth from 1883 to 1892. This particular instrument was made by E.D. Simken and was tuned by A.R. Eames in 1888.
Concert Roller Organ
This table top player has a hand crank and was patented in 1887 by an unknown company. Internal bellows, tuned reeds, vales and a roller produce organ-like tones. This instrument was probably used aboard some of Yarmouth's sailing vessels.
Guild "Square Grand" Piano
This piano was made in Boston in 1874. It came to Yarmouth as a wedding present given by Captain Sheldon Lewis to his granddaughter, and was donated by Miss Grace Lewis of Yarmouth.
Olympia Music Box
This type of music box uses zinc-plated discs and was manufactured by F.G. Otto & Sons in New Jersey in the late 1890s. This music box was used aboard Captain Robert Allen's ship.
Pianola (Piano Player)
This "Pianola" piano player was made in Detroit by the Farrand Organ Company in 1902.
This particular organ was purchased in 1886 by Captain Frank Gullison in Cardiff, Wales for use on board his ship, the N.B. Lewis. Both the Captain and his wife, who travelled with her husband, were musically inclined and especially enjoyed singing hymns. The organ has the name "James" painted on the inside lid, which suggests that this beautiful instrument has a history that is yet to be documented.