M. V. Bluenose

(Click on any of the below thumbnails to view a slide show of larger images)

Between 1955 and 1990, two vessels, both named MV Bluenose, ran passengers and freight between Yarmouth, NS, and Bar Harbor, Maine.

The First Ship

M.V. Bluenose Thumbnail Image 2M.V. Bluenose Thumbnail Image 3M.V. Bluenose Thumbnail Image 4M.V. Bluenose Thumbnail Image 5

The MV Bluenose was built by Davie Shipbuilding Ltd. in Lauzon, Quebec in 1955. In 1983 the vessel was sold to the Electric Boat Corporation of Groton, Connecticut. The vessel was later sold to interests in Florida. The artifacts that you see above were donated by the Electric Boat Corporation.

Hubert Hall, former captain of the M.V. Bluenose, presented artifacts from the ship to the museum. He continues to be a dedicated volunteer at the museum to this day and his personal reflections on the M.V. Bluenose can be found at the front desk in the museum.

M.V. Bluenose Thumbnail Image 6This image shows a model of the ship that was owned by Davie Shipbuilding, and displayed in their corporate boardroom. It was donated by Marine Atlantic.

 

The Second Ship

M.V. Bluenose Thumbnail Image 1The ship's bell from the second MV Bluenose is engraved with the two names under which the ship sailed: "Stena Jutlandica / Gotenborg 1973" and "Bluenose 1983." This bell came from the ship's bridge.