The Fresnel Lens, or Cape Forchu Light
(Click on any of the below thumbnails to view a slideshow of larger images)
The first lighthouse in Yarmouth was erected in 1839. The lens that is now on display at the museum was installed in 1908. This new lens was a sophisticated improvement over the original. The "Fresnel" lens was named after its inventor, Augustin-Jean Fresnel (1788-1827), a French physicist and engineer. He devised a method of producing circularly polarized light and replaced mirrors with compound lenses in lighthouses.
The lens was built in Paris and cost $38,000 CDN. It weighs approximately 3,300 pounds and has 360 prisms. The lens floated in a vat of mercury and was rotated by weights, similar to a grandfather clock. Every night the lighthouse keeper and his assistant made three trips each up a series of narrow stairways to the top of the light to wind up the weights.
A new modern structure replaced the 122-year-old lighthouse in 1962 and a new light was installed to replace the Fresnel lens. Today, the Cape Forchu light station is a tourist attraction, accessible by road along a scenic route that offers views of both Yarmouth Harbour and the ocean.
Links of Interest: